Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Update on the Nest

I'm happy to report my nest is looking better and better. I spent an afternoon in the garage - cleaning and organizing. I don't know how, but I was able to fit an additional 4 tubs on shelves that already looked full. Now my schoolroom and foyer look much better - I can move around without sidestepping those big tubs!

AND the guys came Tuesday morning to put the siding/shakes on the front of the house and today they did a gable. More tomorrow I believe.

David told me to pick paint colors this week and we'll start painting this weekend!!!!




Here's a view of the house after the stucco and window were done but before the shakes were put on the front. Now the area over the garage and on the right side are covered in siding that looks like cedar shakes. It is a light tan but can be painted. It is really hard to choose a color for a large area from a little sample. If I had it to do again I'd pick a little darker color. I don't know if we'll paint them or just let them be and use coordinating colors everywhere else. The stucco will get a primer coat before the paint goes on.


You can see the front yard is looking pretty sad. After the septic system redo last year we didn't resod because we thought the other work on the house would be done soon. Also I want to put a little patio out in front and we wanted the work done before we started that. This side of the house faces west so it is shaded in the morning - a great place to have my quiet time with a cup of tea. We're going to put in a small patio with pavers and I'll add butterfly plants in addition to the bushes, etc. Hannah and I were also thinking of adding some roses - maybe some tea roses or a climbing rose if we put in a trellis.


But first - we have to get rid of some dirt. It seems to have multiplied during the septic activities. We asked the company that did the new drainfield to fix it. They came and regraded it but refused to remove any. The regrading helped - we were having drainage issues - but we just have too much dirt.


I'm itching to get to the planting part. But first things first - anyone want to come help me pick paint colors? Last time I chose green - those of you who know David well would realize why that wasn't a good choice. This time I'm thinking browns/tans. What will it look like to him? How will I know? Will the paint chip look the same as the real paint to him? He says blue is safe... It always looks like blue... except when it looks like purple.... oh, help me...........

1 comment:

Mrs said...

Kudos on progress! My house was fairly clean when I returned from FPEA, so of course I had to dump all the purchased books everywhere!

I'm sorry, but I'm laughing on the paint color issue. How is he with yellow? ;-D

See you tonight!