Monday, June 30, 2008

Fair Trade

Last Friday H, Z, and I visited the newly opened Whole Foods store near I-Drive. The kids thought it was funny that I got so excited about a 'grocery store'. That's OK. They get excited about dinner.

One thing they noticed was that some of the products were marked "Fair Trade". And that prompted a discussion of just what that means. For a couple of years - ever since I've been aware - I've tried to buy fair trade products when they're an option. I like knowing that the person on the other end, maybe the grower or harvester, is able to provide for his family's needs because I'm paying a few cents more for the product. In some economies my few cents makes a world of difference.

Today I ran across a website that hits closer to home. I'm reminded as I plan and purchase materials for our next school year that 'fair trade' applies just as much and as meaningfully to those wise and wonderful people who write and publish our favorite books. Take a moment to check out this link to copyrights and make a fair trade difference!

http://www.eclectichomeschool.org/articles/article.asp?articleid=388&deptid=23&resourceid=209

No comments: