Monday, May 12, 2008

No More Chiquita Bananas!

Or anything else Chiquita for that matter...

Why?

The leadership of Chiquita made a decision to protect their interests (and employees) by paying off terrorists! Instead of enlisting government help or even moving their company - yes at a great cost - they PAID TERRORISTS!!!!


I'm sure the situation was complex and difficult - but I believe in absolute right and wrong. And this was absolutely wrong! And in case you are reading this and thinking that it happened long ago and far away and therefore doesn't affect you, think again. Check out the links to the articles below - especially the second one - and see if you recognize any names.


I've read articles that said Chiquita self reported - meaning they fessed up to their dirty deeds and the implication is that we should just forgive and forget. Well, we all know that actions have consequences and sometimes they're unpleasant.


We are no longer eating anything Chiquita. Bananas have the stickers that identify them and the only other thing I've found is the Fresh Express bagged greens. There are alternatives. Both Dole and Del Monte sell bananas.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6999418.stm

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/17/us/17chiquita.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

1 comment:

Mrs said...

Bananas are one of my banned foods already. Still, I DID like the Fresh Express stuff.

I know that I can't boycott everything I don't agree with (the obvious conclusion to that would be living on our own land, raising all our own food, and back to horse and buggy) but still, when something is as obvious as this, it's easy to pass by these items.