Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Poosey News

Since my original post about Poosey back in October, we have been in an all-out battle to restore her quality of life and at some points literally to save it. Yesterday we got the first little glimmer of the possibility of healing.



If I recall, I said we were exploring the possibility of trying some acupuncture in an attempt to relieve some of her pain. Little did I know that was just the beginning. We met a great vet who has a holistic practice - www.cedarbayvet.com - and she quickly ascertained that the kidney disease was acute. We changed her food, increased the sub-q fluids to twice a day instead of twice a week, and added three supplements. By that time she was also in the midst of a full blown upper respiratory infection that we treated with antibiotics. Poosey was one very weak kitty. I remember one particular Friday that I just lay on the floor beside her and prayed that she'd keep breathing at least until Hannah got home from school. Every breath was an effort and she just looked too weak to keep it up for very long. She didn't want to eat and was losing weight rapidly. We sort of poured food into her with a pastry bag and metal cake decorating tip.

We have been doing the acupuncture - and Poosey often purrs the whole time!

She recovered slowly from the URI but the damage was done. Her liver was very unhappy with the weight loss and although her kidneys were doing better, more blood work revealed that a new monster had reared it's ugly head - hepatic lipidosis. If you're curious you can Google it. I guess it mostly happens to cats and it's 100% fatal without aggressive intervention. That's where we are now. For the last two-plus weeks we've been syringing food into her every 1-2 hours in an attempt to reverse the condition. We added a couple of additional supplements and a medication to help her GI system to move the food along and prevent nausea (and vomiting!). I can't tell you how frustrating it was to force feed her all day every day only to go to the vet and have her lose more weight! I calculated the time and literally 1/4 of my daytime hours have been spent force feeding/cleaning up this precious creature! Finally yesterday we had a small weight gain!!!! We are by no means finished but at least there is hope. I expect to continue this all through the Christmas season and possibly a few weeks beyond. I told the vet yesterday that all I want for Christmas is for Poosey to eat on her own. She smiled and said she hoped I got that gift.

Is it worth it?


Yes.


I don't know how long it will help her, but I know we did our best. She's now strong enough to express her opinions, sometimes vigorously. I love that! She can lie in the sunshine. She can purr. She hangs out with Hannah and sleeps on the box in front of her window - all the normal things we take for granted.

5 comments:

Mrs said...

Ok, who's tougher . . . Poosie, or Poosie's parents?

I'd say it's a tie.

My brother does acupuncture with his horses. I've also watched him "pop" (chiropractically) the neck of one of them and the horse was so happy afterwards!

LEGOMAN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LEGOMAN said...

I hope poosey gets better soon. I want to here good news when we are down there ~JE~

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Weird question for you: many moons ago you lent my Mom a book about sleep for children during the time that our Bekah was having night terrors. I don't remember the name of the book, nor what it said, but I am assuming you had the book because you had a little one with sleep struggles? If so, I need some advice! Caiden has been waking several times a night for the last few months. It started with night terror kind of experiences (what does an infant have to be afraid of??) and then she began teething, so it continued. I tried the cry it out method- not happening, unless of course you mean, I would cry it out! That child of mine can last for hours! I have to admit I've resorted to nursing her back to sleep again because I just want to sleep! FYI, she wakes up every four hours or so hysterical and unable to calm down. She arches and screams and will not cuddle unless I nurse her. Did you have any experience with these sleep issues? If not, no biggie, just thought I'd ask! (Course if you did, there's a good chance you don't remember much about that phase of your life, but it's worth asking!) =)

DaDaHaZaReJe said...

Hi Shannon!

So sorry I haven't looked at this in ages and didn't see your post!

We never had the terrors thing (but my sis-in-love did!) For us it was more just need of a good routine. I still have the book and will bring it Sun. to pass to you thru your mom.

Love you!
Dawn