Friday, August 24, 2007

Kayak Fishing The Juniata

While we were in Pennsylvania in August, we went camping to spend some time in the outdoors. Unfortunatlly, it became shorter than we had expected, but that is a completly different story. I was pretty excited since the campground was near the Juniata river, but I was even more thrilled to find that we could see the river from our campsite! So when we arrived at the campground we did the usual preparation such as setting up the tents and getting the camper rigged. Then we took my kayak down to the river and I loaded it with all my fishing gear and set out! The water was fairly shallow because of the dry weather we had (at least before we got there), so the kayak was helpful in enabling me to get through where other motor boats could not go. Then I got a strike on a topwater bait, which is the most exciting way to catch a fish, and had a fish but then it got off. Finally it was time to have chow. Yum!

This is the smallmouth bass that I caught.
I really enjoyed being on the river and seeing the Pennsylvanian wilderness.
Since fishing is what I enjoy doing, I fished most of the time.
There was a train bridge that we could paddle under but we had to be careful since the current was swift.

Then the next day we went to the Belleville market and ate lunch. And when we arrived back at the campground, and I went fishing again. That is when I caught the smallmouth bass. It was really tough to catch fish since it was so warm and the fish were sluggish and not bitting. Then I went back and ate dinner and got ready to go back to our grandparents' house.

Zach

2 comments:

Mrs said...

Oohhh, a Zach in his natural habitat. . . a kayak.

I forget; do you only to catch and release, or do you eat them?

DaDaHaZaReJe said...

Zach usually does catch and release, but every now and then he will eat a bass or trout at grandma's house. (when she will cook it for him) Hehe!

Bekah